Sunday, March 14, 2010

Xenia

Xenia is the concept of hospitality and generosity to strangers. Then in return the stranger will tell stories about where they are from and about their traveling. I think this concept really sucks. I would hate to have to treat some random person that walks into my home nice and with respect. I would not know if that person could be trusted or not. Once the person is in your home, you have to basically do everything for them. You have to feed them, and provide them with everything they please or need.

What I find the most interesting about this concept is that you cannot ask your guest any questions. I think that’s ridiculous, in these times no one will let a stranger in their home especially if they don’t know why the person needs your hospitality. I am surprised that this concept was created, because we all know that is really hard to trust people, especially someone who just walks up to your doors and tells you they need to come into your home.

The Greek god Zeus created this concept, which is why I believe it was actually followed. For example if this concept was to be reinforced again, no one would follow it, because in those days the Greek people felt like the gods were always watching them. So if they didn’t follow it they felt they will be punished by the gods. Now, if this was enforced no one would care because there is no one to watch us or tell us that what we are doing is wrong.

-- Emely

Sources:

Disscusion in class

http://en.allexperts.com/e/x/xe/xenia_%28greek%29.htm

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I agree that the ancient version is very odd. Why do you think they had a law like that?

    What would you think about a modern take on Xenia at a larger level? For example, xenia might be great if applied to how countries treat immigrants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that xenia sounds like a hard concept to live with: most un-New York to think that any stranger could waltz in, eat your food, and take up your time with their stories.

    I'm not clear on the context, though: Is this a Greek concept? Ancient or modern? It's hard to imagine this happening anywhere today.

    ReplyDelete